Welcome to this week’s edition of Royalist, the Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things royalty and royals. Subscribe here to receive it in your inbox every Sunday.
Harry and Meghan coronation guessing game
Prince Harry And Meghan Markle have “received correspondence by e-mail” about the coronation of King Charlestheir office said on Saturday evening, strongly suggesting they were invited to attend the historic event, as The Royalist has long predicted.
However, the couple said they would not say, at this time, if they were going.
In a report reported by The Sunday Timesa spokesperson for the couple said that Harry had “recently received email correspondence from Her Majesty’s office regarding the coronation. An immediate decision on whether the Duke and Duchess will attend will not be released by us at this time.
The daily beast reported this week that despite further evidence of the extent of the estrangement between the Sussexes and the Windsors emerging after they were told to move out of their UK home, Frogmore Cottage (for more on this see below below), the working assumption was that Harry and Meghan would get him invited to the ceremony and come.
Harry suggested in some interviews promoting his book earlier this year that a condition of his attendance was an apology for the way he says he and Meghan were treated by the family saying the ball was “in their side”. But friends of the royal family have ruled out any chance of that, with one saying this week: ‘It’s clearly up to them whether they accept the invitation. Plans are made based on what they will do.
While Charles really wants Harry to come, William is less enthusiastic, but happy to support his father’s wishes.
A source told The Daily Beast earlier this week“William won’t shed a tear if Harry doesn’t pull through. He feels completely betrayed by Harry. Relations have never been worse and he hates him for what he did to the family in the books and interviews.He will support his father’s decision, but it’s no secret that he’d rather he wasn’t there or, indeed, never set foot in England again.
Royal commentator Duncan Larcombe, former royal editor of the Sun, previously told The Daily Beast“There’s a strong business imperative for them to attend because their whole brand is based on their connection to royalty. Also, if they’re invited and don’t come, they’ll look petty for having snubbed Charles’ big day, so there’s a good chance they’ll be there.
Larcombe said he suspected that, as Harry and Meghan had no official role in the ceremony, they would be seated on the second tier of the family, “with people like the Duke of Gloucester”, as they were at the Platinum Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth.
The big mystery of Harry and Meghan’s royal accommodation
The ongoing saga around which very wealthy members of the royal family will live in very grand palaces continues. Two UK newspapers are saying completely different things this morning about the great game of Royal Monopoly, as a cost of living crisis grips the rest of Britain.
THE Sunday Telegraph reports Prince Harry and Meghan Markle weren’t offered alternative royal accommodation after being evicted from Frogmore Cottage, and say visiting Britain with their children will be ‘complicated’ if they live outside security perimeters of a royal domain.
“It’s not just his son, it’s also his grandchildren,” a source noted of how King Charles’ family relationships could suffer.
However, according to Mail on Sunday, King Charles is going to offer Harry and Meghan accommodation space at Buckingham Palace, this is after he evicted them from Frogmore Cottage, a situation they would have been quite unconcerned about. THE Telegraph report takes. a different approach; they say the Sussexes were ‘disappointed’ by the decision, but also acknowledged the great privilege they had.
There’s a problem, because it’s the royal family. Charles may offer the couple a suite of rooms previously occupied by Prince Andrew, which Harry and Meghan may not like. Andrew, after all, allegedly sexually abused Virginia Giuffre when she was a minor and sex-trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein, which he adamantly denies (paying her millions of dollars in a settlement at the amicably last year). Andrew, meanwhile, would leave the Royal Lodge, which would be lined up for William and Kate. The property, the Mail said, could require “significant renovations”, not to mention sage.
William and Kate currently live in Adelaide Cottage in Windsor, which they consider too small; this residence can be offered to Andrew’s youngest daughter, Eugenie, who is pregnant with her second child and previously rented Frogmore.
A source told the To post“Her Majesty is furious, as is William. But the King is no villain. He does not wish to see his brother Andrew homeless or penniless. Nor does he wish to deprive the Sussexes of a base in the UK. London is better suited. The Sussexes have always wanted rooms at Buckingham Palace. They could have Andrew’s old rooms there, which are currently vacated.
A source added: “Royal Lodge is far too big and far too big for Prince Andrew’s current status. Plus, it’s kid-friendly, with its Wendy house and swimming pool, so of course it’s long been Prince William’s natural choice. Adelaide Cottage is too small for a long term future King and Queen. There is not enough room for all the security they and their children will need in the years to come, which is why Royal Lodge was openly discussed as early as January. It’s been on the table for much longer than that, ever since the Queen was alive.
Another source told the To post that Frogmore Cottage was offered to Andrew on a ‘take it or leave it’ basis, adding: ‘Andrew may have Frogmore Cottage or nothing. But at least Adelaide could eventually end up in the hands of one of her daughters.
Subscribe here to get all the latest royal news and gossip with Tom Sykes and Tim Teeman.
Fergie greets the Queen, praises Andrew
Sarah Ferguson is back on her promotional tours after co-writing a new novel, titled, A most intriguing lady, she connects without pity. The only problem is that everyone wants to talk to her about her disgraced husband Prince Andrew.
In a long interview with Telegraph she defended him, supporting him, quite cleverly, as an act of loyalty to the Queen, saying at one point: “For three years his poor son has been going through such a tumultuous time, and I think HM was very relieved that I could help her with him, so we got even closer, so… She knew I would always be there. Always. Because I love him.”
Fergie is pretty good with the Queen, as it happens, saying, “She was able to completely and completely dilute the chaos. And continue again. And always smile. And keep going through everything she’s been through.
Incredibly, the interview, in a restaurant, ends with Fergie ordering a slice of chocolate cake to take away for Andrew. He really needs to save money.
What more can I say Harry?
Prince Harry is strangely unconvincing interview with Dr. Gabor Maté yesterday was a reminder that Harry’s poor schtick is fast running out of road. Although he said he didn’t see himself as a victim, Harry appeared to do so by blaming his upbringing for his misfortune and vowing “not to pass on any trauma or negative experiences that I had when I was a child” to his own children.
The doctor was kind enough not to suggest that courting the global media by churning out multiple mega-blockbusters on the pile of complete bastards in your family might not be the best way to ensure your children have as normal an upbringing as possible.
This week in royal history
Happy Birthday Prince Edward! He will be 59 on Friday March 10. The late Queen’s youngest son was born at Buckingham Palace.
So, were Harry and Meghan offered royal bedrooms or not? And when will they announce their decision to attend the coronation? And if they come, where will they stay?
Do you like the royal cover of The Daily Beast? Register here to receive Royalist newsletters straight to your inbox.